The student news site of Ward Melville High School

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

A Sophomore Year Reflection: Advice From a Rising Junior

MChe Lee

Going into my sophomore year at Ward Melville High School, I found myself having very high expectations. Each high schooler before me had been extremely eager to begin their sophomore year and I looked forward to the 2022-2023 school year with enthusiasm, coupled with a slight nervousness. That being said, this past school year was not at all what I had anticipated. However, through my experiences over the past year I learned a great deal about myself, both inside and outside of the classroom. 

At Ward Melville, sophomore year is the time for new beginnings, as freshmen are at the junior highs. It is the perfect time to try out new hobbies and clubs, learn what subjects spark your interest, and create meaningful relationships with friends and teachers. In my experience, sophomore year was the time to discover who I was and what I wanted to get out of my future studies at the high school and beyond.

One piece of advice I have for incoming sophomores is to enjoy the present. Although schoolwork and grades are important, remember to have fun and enjoy high school while it lasts. I regret the days where I was stressed over an assignment that in the end has a small impact on my grades and future. I advise you to take things slow; relax, you don’t have to get everything right. 

The hardest part of sophomore year was the sudden rise in expectations by most of my teachers. Often, this caused me to be stressed and doubt my abilities. However, as the year went on I was able to adjust and improve my schoolwork to meet and even exceed the expectations of my teachers. Personally, avoiding procrastination as well as utilizing planners and calendars were crucial tactics that assisted in managing the workload. 

As I begin my junior year at Ward Melville High School, I can only remember how intimidating sophomore year was for me. However, it taught me so much about myself and I cannot wait for rising sophomores to gain the knowledge I did this past year. For the present,  I hope to continue on my journey of self-discovery and make the best of my junior year.