The student news site of Ward Melville High School

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

Trump Faces Trials

Presumptive 2024 Republican presidential nominee, former President Donald Trump, appeared before a New York City judge on February 15th to discuss the possibility of a criminal trial for his alleged concealment of hush money payments to Stormy Daniels in order to cover up an affair scandal during his 2016 election campaign. In a blow to the defense, New York State Supreme Court Justice Merchan rejected Trump’s motion to dismiss the charges and instead set a trial date. This case marks the first time an ex-president and potential presidential nominee will be tried in a criminal case.

On March 25th, Trump plead not guilty to 34 counts of falsifying business records. The former president has repeatedly denied accusations of the hush money cover-up made by both Daniels and Trump’s former attorney, Michael Cohen, calling the calling the prosecution a “hoax” and a “witch trial” (cbsnew.com). Cohen has served over a year in prison after pleading guilty for his role in this case.

While Trump’s criminal case is a historic first, it is among three other criminal trials and multiple civil trials against him. However, the two criminal cases involving Trump’s alleged federal election subversion during the January 6th insurrection have been delayed due to questions surrounding his presidential immunity. The Supreme Court will hear arguments on these questions on April 25th.

Trump’s legal woes appear to have little if any negative influence on his 2024 presidential prospects. Following Trump’s sweeping success in Republican primaries and with candidate Nikki Haley’s recent exit from the race, Trump has now secured the Republican nomination. According to Trump’s base, his lawyers, and himself, these legal cases are part of a politically motivated effort to interfere with his 2024 election bid. These claims have not been substantiated.