The student news site of Ward Melville High School

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

California Storms Lead to at Least 3 Deaths

Jens Muller

In early February of this year, one of California’s most prestigious neighborhoods suffered a multitude of serious rainstorms. In the following days, over 38 million people were alerted by flood warnings that were caused by heavy rain in their area. Six inches of rain was anticipated in both Malibu and Beverly Hills neighborhoods that following week (NBC News). Around 2.5 million people in the Los Angeles area have already received up to 9 inches of rain (NBC News).

These mega storms aren’t only restricted to the Southern California region, as 250,000 homes and businesses in the northern and central regions of the state have been left without power due to the high winds  downing trees, or launching objects into power lines. Pacific Gas & Electric has deemed the storm as “the most damaging single-day weather events on record” (Daily Mail).

There have been at least 3 deaths as a result of California’s superstorm (NBC News). Chad Ensey, 41, passed away in his Sacramento home when debris fell on him during the storm. In addition, 82-year-old David Gomes died after being struck by a redwood tree in Yuba City, Northern California. Lastly, an unidentified individual died from injuries after a tree fell onto their home in Boulder Creek, California.