The student news site of Ward Melville High School

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

Long Island’s Malpracticing Midwife

Mufid Majnun

On the surface, Jeanette Breen appeared to be an innocent midwife who helped countless mothers bring new lives into the world. However, a recent investigation by Long Island officials uncovered reality: she had been forging vaccine records for newborns since 2019. 

Over 300 schools in New York State, especially those in Suffolk and Nassau, were informed of the falsified records for important immunizations, such as shots for polio, measles, and chicken pox. While just a handful of cases would have been condemning enough, it was discovered that Breen had tampered with over 1500 cases and records, leading to a fine of $300,000, only half of which she ended up paying (CBS News). 

In place of these vital injections, Breen fed the infants homeopathic pellets. Such pellets have not been approved as an immunizing agent by the Food and Drug Administration or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Healthcare professionals, parents, and school staff alike agree that Breen not only underminded the entire American Health system, but also endangered hundreds of lives (US News). 

This was not uncharacteristic of Breen, who was previously mentioned in Facebook groups in which anti-vax users discussed how to evade vaccination requirements. Group members would recommend reaching out to her if they wanted to send their child to school without proper vaccines. While her actions are undeniably corrupt, Breen is not the only one at fault. Parents and legal guardians had purposefully sought out and paid Breen for her services, knowingly putting their children at risk of terrible diseases (NBC News).

Breen was fined $150,000 for her crimes, with the other $150,000 suspended on certain conditions: She is no longer allowed to access the New York State Immunization Information System, or able to administer any vaccines that must be reported to the state.