The student news site of Ward Melville High School

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

Los Angeles Rams Trade RB Cam Akers Traded to Minnesota Vikings

On September 21, just two weeks into the 2023 NFL season, the Los Angeles Rams traded their star running back (RB), Cam Akers to the Minnesota Vikings in return for conditional sixth and seventh round picks in the 2026 Draft. 

Akers was presumed to be the lead back for the Rams heading into the 2023 season, and had 22 carries for only 29 yards and one touchdown in the season opening win against the Seattle Seahawks. Despite this, backup running back Kyren Williams was given the starting nod, which some deemed to be a questionable move. In addition, Akers was made inactive by the team, indicating that Williams would be moving forward as the starting running back, despite a career year by Akers in 2022. With a frustrated Akers on the team, the Rams sought out trades to improve team chemistry.

Following the trade, it was announced by Vikings’ head coach, Kevin O’Connell, that Akers wouldn’t play in the Viking’s game against the Chargers in order to give him sufficient time to get acclimated to his new environment. Akers was activated before the Vikings’ week 4 game against the Panthers, where he rushed on 5 attempts for 40 yards. When considering both the departure of RB Dalvin Cook and current running back Alexander Mattinson struggles, the Vikings sought and acquired a much needed running back in Akers.

Akers has shown to be a formidable player in past years, and will have ”Soft competition for backup touches,” according to CBS sports, due to the backup running back Ty Chandler struggling in his current position.

The Vikings finished their first two weeks with only 69 rushing yards, which left them as the worst rushing team in the NFL. With the acquisition of the reliable Akers, the Vikings look to pursue their playoff hopes alongside the play of star wide receiver Justin Jefferson and veteran quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Sources: CBS Sports, Yahoo Sports