The student news site of Ward Melville High School

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

UFC Announces End of UFC Partnership Following Conor McGregor’s Re-Entry into Testing Pool

One of the most significant UFC storylines of the year revolves around superstar, Conor McGregor. The pressing question was when “The Notorious” Conor McGregor would re-enter the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) testing pool. On October 8th, 2023, everyone got their answer: McGregor officially entered the USADA testing pool.

Following this announcement however, there was controversy surrounding McGregor’s return. USADA recently announced its partnership with the UFC will conclude by the end of 2023. After an eight-year association, the separation raises questions about why the UFC decided to part ways with USADA.

USADA’s perspective on the matter suggests an “about-face” relationship between them and the UFC. USADA believes that the UFC showed favoritism by exempting McGregor from certain anti-doping rules–including a six-month negative drug test period. Given McGregor’s status as the UFC’s biggest star and a significant revenue generator, this exception raised concerns. USADA’s insistence on applying the same rules to all athletes is said to have caused friction and ultimately led to the UFC’s decision to end the partnership.

The disagreement between the UFC and USADA also has roots in a case involving  an earlier case with McGregor. In July 2021, McGregor suffered a leg injury during his fight against Dustin Porier at UFC 264, prompting his removal from the USADA testing pool during his recovery and rehabilitation. USADA’s stipulation that a fighter must be in the pool for six months and pass two drug tests before returning to the octagon posed a significant obstacle. This issue became particularly pertinent due to McGregor’s anticipated fight against Michael Chandler, scheduled for December 2023. 

In contrast, the UFC’s Chief Business Operator, Hunter Campbell, provides a different perspective. Campbell claims that the decision to part ways had been under consideration for about a year. The primary motivation behind this decision was the belief that a more effective anti-doping program could be implemented. The UFC cited advances in technology and the emergence of new anti-doping agencies as factors that influenced their choice. Campbell emphasized that when the partnership was first formed, USADA was the only organization that met their requirements.

McGregor will need to undergo six months of drug testing before he’s eligible to fight in the UFC. Despite this, McGregor remains eager for his fight against Michael Chandler, his Ultimate Fighter co-coach, upon his return. The 35 year old has only won one of his last four fights in the UFC, and by the time of his expected return in April 2024, McGregor will have fought three times in the past five years. 

Many UFC fans have wondered if McGregor will be able to recreate his past success as a martial artist, or if he’s just a promotional tool for the UFC. Based on McGregor’s entry into the UFC Anti-Doping Program, the fans won’t have to wait much longer for an answer.