The student news site of Ward Melville High School

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

College Board Releases New Rubric for AP History Exams

The College Board organization released a largely revised grading rubric for the history Advanced Placement (AP) exams in early September. Both essay portions have been altered and students are elated with the changes. The exams adopting the new rubric are AP European History, AP World History, and AP US History. 

Many history teachers believe these adjustments will make scoring points on the exam more manageable. AP history teacher and YouTuber, Steve Heimler, tells his audience, “The DBQ just got way easier” Both the DBQ (Document Based Question)  and LEQ (Long Essay Question) were subject to revision, though most teachers and students are focusing on the changes to the DBQ. 

The first section that is updated in the DBQ is the evidence portion. In previous years students had to use and interpret evidence from six out of seven documents to get both points; now they only have to use four. Junior at Ward Melville High School, Kate Gmytrasiewicz, states “I anticipate an easier time writing for AP US History. I am excited to see how these new rubrics will impact my results.”  

The complexity point, frequently referred to as ‘the unicorn point’ by history teachers, is one of the hardest points to earn on a DBQ and LEQ. It is said that only 1 out of 100 essays earn this point. Students have to demonstrate a complex understanding of the topic and weave it in throughout the essay. Now it can be earned at any time throughout the essay as well; it no longer need be woven throughout. The rubric now specifies several different ways in which you can earn the point: Use and interpret all seven documents, acknowledge the opposing argument with evidence beyond the document, or address the context, audience, point of view, or purpose for four documents. Of these, a student only needs to successfully do one.  

The analysis and reasoning portion, where you discuss the context, audience, purpose, or point of view (sometimes called sourcing), has also been made easier. Instead of sourcing three documents you only have to do two. If you choose to source four, that can earn you the complexity point. The thesis, contextualization, and outside evidence points remain unchanged. The DBQ will still be graded out of seven points. 

The LEQ has made changes to the evidence and complexity section, while the thesis, contextualization, and historical reasoning points remain the same. 

The rubric clarified for the evidence point that to earn both points you only have to use two pieces of evidence that contribute to your argument. For one point: two pieces of evidence need to be used, but they wouldn’t be considered relevant to the argument.

For the complexity section, Heimler states, “They have similarly lowered the bar.” Complexity does not have to be woven into the essay in the LEQ either now. The College Board added an additional two ways to earn the credit: Using four pieces of outside evidence or explaining a counterargument/other perspectives. 

Some people believe this update will increase the pass rates of the AP history exams. Regarding last year’s AP US History score distribution, one Reddit user commented on the r/APUSH subreddit, “If 52% of students failed, I feel like it’s the test writers’ fault.” Similar to US history the European History exam had a 41% fail rate and World History had a 35% percent fail rate. Exams are graded out of 5, any score above a 3 is considered passing. Gmytrasiewicz also says, “The past rubrics were confusing at times and, in my opinion, not fair in terms of the distribution of points”. 

The timing of the rubric shocked many teachers who would’ve expected the announcement in June instead of September, eight months before the exam, when many schools had already started. Heimler describes feeling “baffled” by the sudden announcement.

Whether students and teachers agree or disagree with the adjustments they appear to be staying, at least for the 2024 exams. More information about how to study for the written part of AP history exams will become available on Heimler’s History and other online resources as the exam approaches.