Sherlock Season 4 Leaves Fans in Shock

Leah Cussen, Staff Writer

*Disclaimer: contains spoilers*

These past few weeks have certainly been stressful for fans of the BBC show, Sherlock. First airing in 2010, the show is a modern take on the classic tales first shared by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in 1888. It has gone on to release 4 seasons with a total of 13 episodes.

Sherlock Holmes, played by Benedict Cumberbatch, and John Watson, played by Martin Freeman, are flatmates at 221B Baker Street. They immediately become involved in the mysteries of London, using Sherlock’s deductive skills and John’s army doctor background to help them solve their cases.

Season 4 has been a shocking one for the fans of the show. In this season, secrets of Sherlock’s past that have been hinted at before are finally revealed. Some viewers are happy with the turn-out of the plot, while others feel like it was forced or cliché.

“It was a whole different take on the usual mysteries,” says Faith Garcia, a sophomore at Ward Melville. This season has certainly been different from the rest. While the first three seasons focused on Sherlock and Watson solving crimes or experiencing conflicts with Sherlock’s enemy, Moriarty, the fourth season dove into their personal lives and backstories. Sophomore Cassidy Olivier says, “I feel like it was darker than previous seasons. Butut overall, I thought it was really good because everything was unexpected.”

A lot of fans have been shocked at the ending of the season. The show has a reputation for ending each season with a cliffhanger, hinting at more conflict in the next season. But this time, it did not. When all the loose ends were finally tied, a small montage was featured at the end, showing John and Sherlock experiencing their daily lives of solving crimes and watching after John’s daughter, Rosamund. No suspense. No tension. Just them happily living their lives. But what could this mean for the show?

Cassidy says, “I feel like there was so much closure, almost as if they’re not going to make another season.” A fifth season has been neither confirmed nor denied. We’re all hoping for the former, but it will be hard to develop the plot even further. After killing off John’s wife, teasing the fans with a flashback of the dead Moriarty, keeping us on edge with a text from Irene Adler, Sherlock’s potential love interest, and introducing a new Holmes sibling, a sister called Eurus, we’re all a bit confused and frazzled. Faith puts it simply: “After such a dramatic ending, what do you do?”

Because the show releases new episodes every few years, we may not know for quite a while. In the meantime, we can opt to rewatch the entire series while crying over the pure talent of the actors and actresses and the phenomenal deductive skills of Sherlock Holmes.