The Importance of Voting in the Midterm Elections

Leah Cussen

The Ward Melville Walkout, March 2018

Neil Mehta, Staff Writer

With the events of the 2016 Presidential Election still presiding as a relevant topic in current political conversation, it’s all but effortless to disregard the impact of the upcoming Midterms. These elections, which have the potential to overturn the political state of the U.S., have been subjected to rapidly declining voter turnouts over the past few years. To combat this, it is critical that we as young Americans step up and cast their ballots this November, and make an impact on the election of their representatives.

The U.S. Midterm elections, held every two years (approximately midway through a president’s term), are the first opportunities for many high school seniors to cast their votes in a general election. This year, 33 out of the 100 seats in the Senate are being contested, along with all 435 seats in the House of Representatives.

The effects of this election are significant and often underestimated. A large portion of the United States’ political landscape is up for grabs. Under Trump’s presidency, the American political dynamic is greatly dependent on whether there is a Republican or Democrat majority in the Senate. Consequently, in 2018, the state of the government is now greatly dependent on the outcome of this year’s ballot.

Despite this, we often disregard the impact that our vote can have on American politics. In fact, in our last midterm in 2014 suffered the lowest turnout since WWII-era 1942. This turnout rate was even lower in New York, where under thirty percent of eligible voters cast their ballots.

It is essential that we contrast these results by getting involved. As young adults and teens, we are the future of this country’s political situation, and the sooner we choose to get involved, the better. By voting, we not only contribute to the selection of our own representatives but also take part in our system of government, designed to give us a voice in what takes place in Washington. When we establish ourselves as active, involved, and aware citizens, we advocate for our representation as the youth. It is critical that we recognize the importance of heading out to the polls and voting this November.