Chamber Orchestra Prepares for 2014 All-State Conference

Ashley Hong, Staff Writer

By Ashley Hong, Staff Writer

In preparation for their 2014 All-State Winter Conference performance, the students of Ward Melville’s Chamber Orchestra played an assortment of pieces at the Greek Orthodox Church of the Assumption. Their repertoire contained several distinct pieces, including a classical concerto, a Middle Eastern rondo, and an orchestral take on heavy metal.

Mr. Gelfer, conductor of the Chamber Orchestra, felt that the performance at the Greek Church “was wonderful, and it was a great tune-up concert for them. There are a few things that have to be tightened up, but it was really an excellent performance.”

At the 79th Annual Winter Conference, these students will present pieces that they have been rehearsing since the beginning of the school year, and will listen to other performing groups. The ensemble will depart for the Rochester Convention Center on December 4, and will arrive back to the high school on December 6, leaving behind several individually selected musicians to return on the following day.

Last year, the orchestra performed at the same Greek Orthodox Church of the Assumption. Their concert program was recorded, and then submitted to a panel of NYSSMA judges. As a result, Ward Melville was selected as the only string orchestra to perform as a guest performing group at the 2014 Winter Conference.

Junior violinist Amanda Liu looks forward to and is very excited for the Conference because “it’s a very prestigious experience to be able to perform on such a high level with such a skilled and wonderful group.” Mr. Gelfer is “very proud of all the students, and very happy that they will get the opportunity to experience the conference – even the students who were not selected to play in the All-State groups.” He said that it was a “terrific honor” for the group and the school.

Once in Rochester, the Chamber Orchestra will have many opportunities to broaden their musical perspectives. At the convention center, the students will encounter up to 150 booths, which will have information on college and music education from all over the United States. The conference will also draw up to 2000 music educators, 890 All-State high school students, over 2000 music parents, and several hundred members of performing groups.