Kaleidoscope

Stony Brook Alumnus Joins NBA

Elizabeth Wang, Sports Editor

Jameel Warney has become the the first Stony Brook alumnus to make it to the NBA. To many, it is no surprise that this talented athlete is making Seawolf history.

24-year-old Jameel Warney stands 6 foot 8 inches tall and was described as a “leader on the field” during his years playing for Stony Brook. As a strong forward, he lead his team, averaging 20.3 points and 9.6 rebounds a game, to their first and only America East Tournament title and National Collegiate Athletic Association Tournament appearance in 2016.  By the time of his graduation, Warney was Stony Brook’s all-time leading scorer.

After leaving Stony Brook, Warney joined the Texas Legends, an NBA G League team. The NBA G League, also previously  known as the NBA Development League or NBA D-League, is the NBA’s official minor league. The G League is designed to prepare all its coaches, officials, trainers, and players for the NBA Major League and is a common pathway for players to get signed.

Outside of Stony Brook and the NBA, Warney played for the U.S. national team in 2017; the team finished with a 5-0 record and the AmeriCup title. Warney himself received Most Valuable Player (MVP) Honors after averaging 12.8 points and 8.6 rebounds and shooting with an impressive 64.9 percent accuracy. By December 2017, Warney was named USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year. Previous winners of this prestigious award include basketball legends including Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant. And LeBron James.

Warney is set to play for the Dallas Mavericks as part of his 10-day contact. The Mavericks are currently ranked #13 in the Western Conference and have a record of 22-50. Warney is expected to continue his success in his upcoming years as a professional basketball player. As less than 1% of college basketball players make it to the NBA, Jameel Warney’s legacy will never be forgotten at Stony Brook.