Kaleidoscope

Elsie Fest

Leah Cussen, Arts and Entertainment Editor

On the weekend of October 8th, 2017, the annual Elsie Fest ran for its third year since its creation in 2015 by co-founders Darren Criss, Ricky Rollins, and Jordan Roth. It was held at Summerstage, Central Park in New York City and was hosted by Elvis Duran from Elvis Duran and the Morning Show, a daily radio program on Z100.

Elsie Fest has been coined as “NYC’s first outdoor music festival celebrating tunes from the stage and screen,” and it certainly holds true to the title. The 2017 lineup featured a wide array of performers, including Alan Cumming, Lea Michele, Darren Criss, and Jeremy Jordan as headliners.

A portion of the proceeds from the concert benefited BroadwayCares/Equity Fights AIDS, an organization dedicated to helping men, women, and children across the United States “receive lifesaving medications, health care, nutritious meals, counseling and emergency financial assistance.”

Elsie Fest is not your typical music festival. Darren Criss originally wanted to create the festival as an opportunity for musical-lovers to come together and see singers across genres singing songs across genres. “Whether it be a pop star singing their favorite showtune, or a Broadway star singing their favorite pop tune, Elsie celebrates all those who love musicals,” states their official website.

Junior Charlotte Lee, who went this year, says, “It was especially amazing because the environment was so different than any other music festival I’ve been to in that it wasn’t overly chaotic. It was definitely a different crowd. The acts were all incredible!” Whether or not you are a fan of Broadway, Elsie Fest is sure to be a wonderful experience for all who attend.