Ward Melville Fencing: Advancing to a Perfect Season

Sophomore foil fencer Ivanna Zavala winning against Brentwood opponent

Elizabeth Wang, Staff Writer

So far, the Ward Melville Boys and Girls Fencing is undefeated in League I of Suffolk County Varsity Fencing! They are ranked first in the league.

During the winter season, the Ward Melville Boys and Girls Fencing team faces seven different high school varsity teams twice. In the season so far, Ward Melville has defeated each team at least one already. Thus, having already bested their future opponents once, the Ward Melville team is well poised to maintain their flawless record. With only six more meets this season, both teams are nearing the homestretch.

Ward Melville Boys Fencing has enjoyed very successful meets so far, winning many by a large margin. The team’s closest scores were at the meets against Commack High School, both during which Ward Melville won 17-10. Fortunately for Ward Melville, however, Commack will not be a threat to their perfect record, as the schools have already fenced each other the allotted two times.

Patriot Girls Fencing has also commanded a fortuitous season. Unlike the boys, though, the girls’ most formidable competitor Half Hollow Hills is still an upcoming meet. At the teams’ first encounter, Ward Melville Girls Fencing narrowly triumphed with a score of 14-13. The rivals’ next clash is scheduled for Wednesday, February 1st. The Ward Melville Fencing team is confident. Junior saber fencer Hannah Dill explains, “We’ve improved a lot since the beginning of the season. Every practice, we work on technique, strengthening, and conditioning. We just have to relax and let it happen.”
Wish the team luck as they (hopefully) advance their way to a perfect season!