WM Boys XC Update

Leon Zhao, Sports Editor

One month into the 2016 Cross Country season, the Ward Melville Boys’ Cross Country team has shown promise in their ability to go far this season. Led by team captains Matthew Viscosi and Glen Pinkava, the team has had an early success in a division meet victory against rival Smithtown. Just last week, also, they came back from the Ocean State XC Invitational in Rhode Island, placing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively in the Varsity, JV, and Freshman races against teams from all over the northeast.

This is evidence of a growing momentum in the running team that has been building since last year. This year has seen the vast improvement of many upperclassmen that have previously run on the team, meaning the field of contestants for the top seven runners that will run at counties has become increasingly deeper and faster. Promise is also reflected in the new loaded class of talented freshman, that will go on to become the future of Ward Melville running teams.

The Boys’ XC coach Gregg Cantwell sees potential in the strength of the team, “The team this year has the ability to be the best team I have seen at Ward Melville, which would mean it’s the best team the school has had since at least the 80s.” Team captain Matthew Viscosi is also confident in the team’s ability to make States for the first time since 1969 and make the Federation meet for New York State.

There is still work that the Patriots need to accomplish however. Winning counties on November 4th will demand the team’s best performance against rivals Northport, Sachem North, and Smithtown, and making the Federation meet will also demand a good performance. Nevertheless, the team’s current strength will prepare them adequately to take on whatever challenges that await them.