College Roommates: The Search for your “Perfect Match”

College Roommates: The Search for your Perfect Match

Gianna DiPasquale, Productions Manager

“So… uh, I stalked your Instagram and you look pretty cool…. wanna sleep less than 12 feet away from each other?”

These are the unsaid words that run through most high school senior’s heads while partaking in uncomfortable and awkward conversations to find a roommate. Deciding on which college to attend could possibly be the most stressful decision in a 17 year old’s life. Once the decision is finally made and we can breathe a little easier, it’s time to figure out the details. For many, sharing a room with someone is completely foreign and a huge adjustment. Neat freak vs. slob, night owl vs. early bird, homebody vs. party animal and the list goes on. How are you supposed to get a sense of who someone is from their VSCO grid, 140 character tweets, or Facebook profile pictures? After 4 years of high school it is pretty clear that not everything is as it appears through social media. There are many different methods to finding a roommate which all work depending on the individual and their preferences.

1. Online dating: “Should I message her first? Nah, that’s weird, I don’t want to sound like a creep. Maybe I’ll just follow her on Instagram or send her a friend request. Oo! She followed back, I think we’re off to a good start.” For some this works out very well, and for others it can turn into a catastrophe. It may be extremely uncomfortable but this could be a very effective way to get to know someone and see if you connect. I think the most important thing to remember is to be completely honest and not hold back. If you know you leave your dirty laundry on the floor and will forget to make your bed 6 out of 7 days a week, then don’t say you are a tidy person. Honesty certainly is the best policy when it comes to rooming. Another thing to keep in mind is your intention for the roommate situation. Do you want to be their best friend and spend 24 hours by each other’s side, or just be acquaintances who live well together? Put yourself out there and be open to all your options. When talking to multiple people it may feel like you’re playing someone or cheating on a potential roommate you think you have a good connection with, but that is the one difference between roommate hunting and dating, because it is better to have options than to get set on the first person you talk to and think that they’re “the one.” It is very difficult not to be judgmental, but who knows? The girl or guy who looks like your polar opposite, could very well turn out to be the best co inhabitant of 114 square feet that you will ever have! Or worst….

2. Random: Many people just don’t have the energy to do the whole awkward conversation-making, and it isn’t in their nature to reach out to someone they think they may get along well with. The Random roommate method is like throwing darts in a dimly lit and crowded bar while drunk. If you’re lucky enough you may hit the bullseye! Or it could go completely south and hit someone else in the room which in that case you should probably transfer schools and change your name.

3. Teammate: Playing a sport in college whether is Division I, II, or III gives you an automatic clique. What’s a better common interest than what could have possibly made your decision on a school? Living with a teammate could bring you closer than ever or drive you miles apart. This person you will be spending majority of your days time with between morning lift, practices, traveling for games or competitions, depending on your major your classes, and duh, sleeping. If you are looking for this kind of relationship with your roommate then this could be the option for you. This certainly narrows down your options. If you know that you are the type of person that can only tolerate your friends for a few hours at a time before you want to rip your hair out, choosing someone outside of your team is probably the best choice for you.

4. RoomSurf.com: This is an organized website solely dedicated to finding a college room mate. Extremely user-friendly and simple all you have to do is set up a profile with basic information about yourself. You input the college you will be attending and then fill out a survey which covers just about every base from study habits, visitor preferences, and even small details like room temperature. This definitely saves a lot of stalking time and accurately matches you with someone. The survey even asks you how you would like your potential roommate to answer the questions that you answer and allows you to view how they answered the questions. Once matched with another student you can then message each other which is a great conversation starter based upon the fact that you already know you have plenty in common!
College will be a time full of the most change and growth you will ever encounter. The people you meet along the way, good or bad, will certainly impact you and your experience. The situation will be whatever you make of it, and the unknown outcome could be extraordinary.