Shooting in Nashville, Tennessee kills 6

Photo credit: unsplash.com

Anna Lawrence, Staff Writer

On March 27, 28-year-old Audrey Hale entered a private Christian elementary school in Nashville, Tennessee and fatally shot six people. The victims included three nine-year-old students and three staff members. As of April 10, there have been at least 129 mass shootings in the United States this year alone (ABC News).

Hale, the suspected shooter, was a former student at the school. Police say that the shooter appeared to have written a manifesto about the attack and drawn maps of the campus (New York Times). While police are still unsure of the motive for the attack, it is clear that it was “calculated and planned” over a period of months (CNN). 

Hale was under a doctor’s care for an undisclosed emotional disorder. Despite this, Hale was able to legally purchase seven firearms. Hale brought three of their seven firearms, including two automatic weapons and a handgun, to the school and fired 152 rounds during the attack (CNN). 

Authorities say they first received an active shooter call at the elementary school at 10:13 a.m.  Later, Hale allegedly began shooting at the police vehicles through windows on the second floor. Police arrived at the school within minutes of the call and entered immediately upon arrival. Body camera footage shows officers Rex Englebert and Michael Collazo locate and neutralize the shooter on the second floor, 14 minutes after the initial 911 call (NPR and CNN). The victims were Evelyn Deickhaus, William Kinney, Hallie Scruggs, Mike Hill, Katherine Koonce and Cynthia Peak.