National Coming Out Day at Ward Melville

Jacob Klipstein, Staff Writer

Pictures by Erika Riley, Managing Editor

On October 10, the Ward Melville Gay-Straight Alliance celebrated National Coming Out Day. Today’s was Ward Melville’s annual day to support kids who are still in the closet or not out about their sexuality. They had a booth set up in the commons giving out pamphlets and selling baked goods for the cause to raise money for LGBT club.

National Coming Out Day has been going on since 1988. It was inspired by the 1987 march on Washington for LGBT+ rights. While it is annually on October 11th, school is not in session so they celebrated it today. Ward Melville student Kristie DeRose said, “It’s fabulous!” that the GSA had this booth to help support students. They handed out pride ribbons, ALLY stickers to show support for anyone who wanted to come out today, as well as pamphlets of information on the day and their club. They also sold food including cupcakes and brownies at their booth, which were a huge hit with students. The table was swarmed in between periods, and by 5th period, all but one cupcake had sold out.

Next to their booth they had a hand-drawn poster of  a tree with a quote from Harvey Milk. “Burst down those closest doors once and for all, stand up and start to fight.” Milk is the first openly gay elected official in the United States who was assassinated in 1978.  Students signed their names on the branches of the tree to show their support.

Gay-Straight Alliance Club President Natalie Lynde shared her thoughts on the day. “I think it’s a great way to support LGBT+ students and it is a great way to show students were here supporting them.” Ward Melville’s Gay-Straight Alliance meets every Tuesday from 2:30-3:35 in Room 123 and hopes you will come and check it out.

Photo Oct 10, 10 22 23 AMPhoto Oct 10, 10 24 10 AMPhoto Oct 10, 10 23 07 AMPhoto Oct 10, 10 22 33 AM