WiFi In the School

WiFi In the School

Grace Zhao, Staff Writer

This year, Ward Melville has extended Internet access to students on personal devices. By increasing the number of hotspots for Internet access, students may pull out phones or iPads for educational purposes during class. The instructions are simple: go to the Wifi settings on a device, select “Three Village Guest”, and follow the prompts from there. The new system, however, has encountered some backlash, but most students are enjoying the benefits of it.

“Opening Internet access to students’ phones provides an educational tool for both students and teachers,” says Dr. Baum, principal of Ward Melville High School. “If a teacher asks a specific question, it’ll take five minutes for a student to find a book and locate the exact information. But with a phone, the answer is retrievable in seconds. Really, it’s useful, educational, and very necessary in the twenty first century.”

The implementation of this plan is still relatively new, however, and has encountered a few impediments. The extent of Internet access only encompasses Androids, PCs, and Apple products. Nevertheless, Ward Melville administration does not intend to increase the types of technology that the Wifi accommodates. “Wifi dropping” has also become an impediment for students- logging in during the beginning of the day does not ensure access for nine whole periods. Some claim that students may abuse the new Internet access, and that allowing technological devices in classrooms distracts students.

“I think they could use it to cheat on tests,” junior Jamie Sung said. I, personally, haven’t seen that happen yet, but I do know that several people will go on Youtube and watch livestreams during class.” Youtube is not the only app that students use during school- Snapchat is also unblocked by Iprism. However, Alan Baum argues that the Internet is not there to play with, but instead there to teach students how to use technology appropriately.

“There is an Iprism block on all inappropriate sites,” said Dr. Baum. “It’s still completely up to the teacher whether or not they want to let their class use their technological devices in class.” Some teachers still haven’t begun to allow the use of technological devices within their classrooms.

“The school’s Wifi access really hasn’t affected me much; I haven’t used it in any of my classes and most of my friends don’t seem to use it much either,” said Jessica Ju, a senior at Ward Melville.” Others, however, find the Wifi advantageous and effective because of the rapidity of translating words and locating information.

“I use it all the time,” said junior Grace Zhang. “I love the Wifi because there is no signal otherwise in the school. I think it’s extremely beneficial especially when I need Google Translate for my Spanish class.”

“With this new system, the world is at your fingertips,” said Dr. Baum. “It encourages the flow of information and fosters education. It just makes things so much easier.”

wifi article