How to Stay Healthy at Home

Steven Orland, Staff Writer

The world’s attention in the last month has been diverted toward news and media related to COVID-19’s effects. These include a surging death toll across America, increasing chaos within hospitals and the closure of public places. Amid all this global turmoil, how can we stay healthy?

As stories about the coronavirus’ inflictions pop up left and right, it can be difficult avoiding these and the associated anxiety. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention acknowledges that “fear and anxiety about a disease can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions … ” Feeling uneasy about the outbreak can have physical effects, too, like stomach aches or fatigue. However, this doesn’t have to be the case. 

One way in which everyone can improve their wellbeing is by eating healthy; it’s difficult to always prepare nutritious meals and snacks, but certain foods can improve one’s mood. Fruits like oranges, nuts, and whole grains with valuable minerals can promote serotonin release, which helps stabilize our mood. Food is not the only medicine; a proper mindset can help alleviate stress every day. 

Avoiding negative thoughts can be a challenge, but limiting the amount of media one consumes can reduce fear caused by the virus. Time Magazine reports that “over-exposure to news … creates a lot of anxiety.” Quick access to technology can also serve as a means of communication; in spite of being isolated, it’s healthy to virtually talk with and see others.

Numerous programs, including Zoom, Google Meet, and FaceTime are making visits with friends and family through the internet easier. This practice is encouraged by the National Institute of Health, which says that “virtual communication can help you and your loved ones feel less lonely and isolated.” 

Organizations such as the CDC and Mental Health America have offered online resources for people struggling with anxiety related to the Coronavirus. The Three Village School District has also encouraged students to use the resources available on the Pupil Personnel Services website, which includes access to psychologists at all primary and secondary schools.

Along with mental care comes the importance of physical care and sanitation. Advisories from the CDC to regularly wash one’s hands and wear cloth masks are still in abundance. Governor Andrew Cuomo has recently ordered all New York residents to wear masks or face protection at all times in public – this is critical to protecting yourself and others around you.

The effects of COVID-19 reach past just social ones; quarantine and isolation can affect one’s mental and physical health. Not everyone responds the same to remaining indoors, but spending some time in fresh air daily can improve mood and productivity. This is a troubling time for the world, but staying healthy and remaining optimistic will help get us through it.