How COVID-19 Affects Sports

Audrey Glynn, Sports Editor

On March 11, the National Basketball Association suspended the rest of the season due to a player testing positive for COVID-19. The day after, the National Hockey League. Soon, sports worldwide were cancelled. 

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1237914166285008896?s=20

These decisions were made due to the large attendance sporting events bring. The gathering of a team itself goes against the guidelines created by the CDC. When Rudy Gobert, basketball player for the Utah Jazz, was the first confirmed case of Coronavirus in major league American sports, sports nationally were being shut down by the minute. More players within the team soon tested positive and as the days went by, players in all different leagues tested positive for COVID-19. 

One major league sport making every effort to begin play is baseball. MLB never got to start the season due to COVID-19 and are making every pitch to players and health officials in order to begin play when it is safe enough. One pitch was that all teams would play in Arizona and would be secluded from their families while the season lasted. There would be no fan attendance, and very limited broadcast. 

For high school sports, resuming play has become nearly impossible. While many spring high school sports end in May, the opportunity to gather as teams is limited, for many states have provided social distancing limits that go into the month of May. Some school districts have already called off the entire year, which will conclude spring sports as well.

Ward Melville is known state-wide for it’s athletics, and many students see the loss of spring sports as a big upset. “I am devastated at the loss of lacrosse and spring sports. I know it’s best for our community, but I feel so bad for our seniors. I can’t wait for next year!” says junior Jillian O’Brien, a varsity lacrosse player. 

Whether or not many sports can resume at any point is a fluid situation and holds great uncertainty. Major League Baseball may play with no fans and high school senior athletes may completely lose their final spring season. It is in the best interest of the world to remain separated and with sports as a global gathering of people they must be currently suspended with the current numbers of COVID-19 cases and deaths globally. In the meantime, many TV stations are playing old games, and sports broadcasters are broadcasting coverage from the comfort of their living room. While sports may not be live and in action, the spirit of sports remains.