Disney+ Star Visits Ward Melville

Audrey Glynn, Sports Editor

On January 8th, Larry Saperstein of Disney+’s ‘High School Musical: The Musical: The Series’ visited Ward Melville to talk to students about his career and mental health within the entertainment industry. 

This year’s focus for the WM Key Club is mental health. They hosted a ticket-only event in the LGI after school, featuring Saperstein, a 21-year-old actor and vocalist, most known for his role as “Big Red” on the recently premiered show about high school students in the theatre club. He discussed the fortunes and misfortunes of the entertainment industry, and mental health within it. The event was Q&A style, with students asking questions mainly about the show. Saperstein was able to easily connect with students, answering each question with enthusiasm. Questions ranged from “How did you get the audition?” to “Who do you ship on the show?” After talking with students he had a photo session, including a group picture of all the gingers that attended the event.

With Ward Melville being known for its arts programs, and having recently closed the musical, it was an opportunity for students who plan to pursue a career in any aspect of the entertainment industry to understand what it’s like to be young in an often criticized career path. Saperstein answered every question, and made a room full of students smile. 

‘High School Musical: The Musical: The Series’ airs Fridays at 3 AM EST on Disney+.