Ward Melville Wins 2019 Homecoming Game

Melville routs Commack 35-14

Liam Giannelli, Staff Writer

On October 19th, Ward Melville hosted their annual homecoming festival and football game as the highly anticipated matchup between the visiting Commack Wildcats and Ward Melville Patriots took place. Coming into this game Ward Melville had just beaten Riverhead and was looking to continue their momentum against. 

With fans piling in after the festival, there were at least a thousand students and families in the stands supporting the Patriots creating an electric home atmosphere. 

The Patriots came ready to play as they stalled Commack on their opening drive, capitalizing with a 41 yard touchdown off a Jet Sweep to Jack Gillen that put Melville on the board early in the 1st. The Patriots kept the momentum going as they stopped Commack once again at their own 3. Patriot Jesse Behar found the endzone for his first career varsity touchdown with a 32 yard score off a read option. 

In the 2nd quarter, Behar hit Gillen in stride for a 72 yard touchdown to give the Patriots a commanding 21-0 lead. Commack finally scored with 2:30 left in half on a 40 yard pass. Melville led 21-7 at the half. 

Coming out of the half the Patriots kept the intensity on defense and forced a Commack fumble, which Patriot Steven Germain returned for a 54 yard defensive touchdown. The Patriots weren’t done yet as Behar found Gillen for his 3rd touchdown of the day with a 9 yard fade in the corner, with plenty of time left in the 2nd half. 

The 4th quarter was where Melville sealed the game as they chewed the clock, A Commack touchdown late in the 4th was not enough to overcome the Patriots lead, as they came out on top 35-14. In a post game interview, with Patriots Quarterback Jesse Behar, he said, “This win was huge for us as it gives us momentum moving into the upcoming games”. 

Behar on scoring his first varsity touchdown: “It felt great but all the credit for that score goes to my o line and receivers for making a bunch of great blocks on that play”. 

The Patriots travel to Sachem East next weekend looking for a road win against a highly ranked rival.