The Inside Scoop on a Possible Pi Day Celebration 2019

Samuel Kim, Op-Ed Editor

March 14 has come and gone, overshadowed by both the walkout and student forum. But for those of us who waited for that slice of pie or that chance to have fun in math class, we wondered, “What happened to Pi Day?”

The number Pi is a unique number-the ratio between a circle’s circumference and its diameter- and it has boggled the minds of even the greatest mathematicians. It is still being calculated, even after we have discovered over one trillion digits! Most importantly, however, it has sparked a worldwide movement to create a day to recognize both this intriguing number and raise awareness for mathematical discoveries.

On March 9, 2009, the U.S. Congress passed a resolution both recognizing Pi Day and encouraging its celebration worldwide. Following this event, numerous teachers began to organize Pi Day celebrations at their schools. At Ward Melville, Ms. O’Brien and several math teachers created a full-day festival celebrating the number Pi.

In a recent interview, Mr. Tam, a mathematics teacher, recalled, “There were pie eating contests, baking contests, and even pie-throwing contests.”

Overall, many alumni looked fondly upon this event. One alumnus even stated, “The event was extremely informative and fun. I loved throwing whipped cream pies.” These events were filled with fun and were hyped up, almost like the student carnival at Gelinas or Homecoming. However, only recently have these events stopped and Pi Day, at least as a schoolwide event, ended.

However, there are still some teachers who hold onto the Pi Day spirit. For example, Mr. Glasheen still decorates his room with Pi symbols and even hold class celebrations on March 14th. Ms. O’ Brien has been known to bring in pies to share with her students. Still, the question lingers in all of our minds is, “Will Pi Day come back?”

Thankfully, Mr. Tam had the answer.

“Every year, the math department holds a meeting where we discuss, among other things, the possibility of a Pi Day celebration,” Tam said, “Although nothing is definite, we hope to have something. Hopefully.”

As we put away the plates and forks and pick up our pens and calculators, we too hope for a Pi Day celebration in the future.