The student news site of Ward Melville High School

Kaleidoscope

Manchester Bombings: What We Know

Samuel Kim, Staff Writer

On May 22, at approximately 10:30 PM (BST), two bombs exploded in the Manchester Arena after an Ariana Grande concert. The BBC, Sky News, and the Daily Telegraph all report that 22 people have been killed, while 116 were injured in the attack.

The police suspected that 22-year old Salman Abedi detonated one or two home-made bombs in the arena’s foyer. Leaked photographs from the New York Times show metal fragments strewn throughout the building. They also show a backpack/suitcase and a 12 volt battery, both being considered as detonator components.

In the aftermath of the explosion, survivors ran into the subway station and out of the exits. The BBC has reported that 240 emergency calls were made and hundreds of police officers were dispatched. The Islamic State claimed responsibility for this attack, prompting further action by British police.

In the following days, since this attack, British officials raised the terror threat to “critical” citing concerns of another attack. Police made fourteen arrests, as of May 30, including the father and brother of the attacker. Theresa May lowered the terror threat level to “severe” explaining that this was due to the efforts of the British police.

As of now, the police investigation is focusing on the possibility of identifying other suspected terrorists and finding a British network responsible for carrying out the attack. Until then, we must hope that such an attack never happens again.