The student news site of Ward Melville High School

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

OJ Simpson Found Dead At 76

Image Courtesy of Tingey Injury Law Firm on Unsplash

OJ Simpson, considered one of the greatest NFL running-backs turned “murderer,” was found dead in his home in Las Vegas, Nevada on Wednesday, April 10th. Simpson is believed to have died from his battle with prostate cancer. His family wrote on his official X account that, “On April 10th, our father, Orenthal James Simpson, succumbed to his battle with cancer. He was surrounded by his children and grandchildren. During this time of transition, his family asks that you please respect their wishes for privacy and grace.” (VARIETY)

OJ Simpson was famously charged for the alleged murder of his ex-wife and her friend, Ron Goldman. He was found not guilty for the death of both Nicole Brown Simpson and Goldman. The murder took place on June 12, 1994, where Simpson’s ex-wife and Goldman were both found dead outside of her condo in Brentwood. Simpson was faced with domestic violence charges beforehand when he and Nicole were still together, automatically making him a person of interest in her murder. As the charges of murder were put against him, instead of turning himself in, he fled in his white bronco. This caused a 45 minute police chase that had over 95 million viewers tuning in to watch (VARIETY).

Simpson’s trial was a media frenzy. He was found not guilty on the two counts of murder. Later, in 1997, he was found liable for wrongful death and battery against Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson, and was ordered to pay $33.5 million in damages. Simpson later served almost nine years in prison due to robbery, kidnapping, and various other charges associated with a Las Vegas sports memorabilia scheme.