The student news site of Ward Melville High School

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope

White House Directs NASA to Create a Lunar Time Standard

Image Courtesy of NASA on Unsplash

The Biden Administration has recently urged NASA to create a new time zone for the Moon after the European Space Agency previously proposed the creation of a lunar time standard one year prior ( The Washington Post). This moon-based time standard will account for time passing by faster on the Moon compared to Earth. 

The time zone, called Coordinated Lunar Time or LTC, is being created in preparation for multiple upcoming lunar missions. With this new invention, nations will be able to coordinate their explorations on the moon. The lunar time standard also aims to help with precise navigation, docking, and landing in these upcoming missions. 

Due to the difference in gravitational field strength, time moves quicker on the Moon by an average of 58.7 microseconds per day (BBC). Although the difference in time between the Moon and Earth is extremely small, it is still relevant due to the critical accuracy needed when planning lunar missions or any other type of space flight. According to a memorandum issued by the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, the miniscule difference in time could cause issues to arise when lunar spacecrafts operate on Earth’s time system.

While NASA has begun working towards making lunar time a reality, the European Space Agency has also been working towards this goal prior to the White House’s memorandum (BBC). Countries will have to universally agree on the time zone in order for the objectives of keeping international lunar missions coordinated to be successful.