Ward Melville’s Yearbook Wins Big

Grace Zhao, Staff Writer

Last year, the Ward Melville Yearbook entered “Hashtag” to be judged by NSPA, the National Scholastic Press Association. Ward Melville’s yearbook received an All- American Honor rating, as well as four marks of distinction. Ward Melville’s yearbook, Invictus, has received this distinction for three years in a row.

Invictus was entered during a NSPA convention held in Boston, Massachusetts. The annual NSPA convention will take place in Washington D.C. this year, where members of Yearbook will learn whether or not they win the NSPA Design of the Year Award.

“When I first read that we were nominated for the Design of the Year Award, I got really excited,” said Amanda Spaccarelli, Editor-in-Chief of the yearbook club. “I think this year, we’ll work on getting better photos and stories. We have to improve the quality of our writing; work on getting it to a more emotional point.” Like many other members of the yearbook staff, Amanda hopes to continue receiving high marks of distinction for ten years in a row, securing the Ward Melville yearbook a coveted spot in the NSPA Hall of Fame.

“This award shows that our students are working to a standard comparable to the top books around the country,” said Courtney Weisman, adviser of Ward Melville yearbook. “Really, we’re one of the few books around the country that are based on a club schedule. We’re competing with students who have full programs, who have the opportunity to learn about the design programs in class. We had to kind of figure it out ourselves.”

“I was proud. The whole yearbook staff really came together, and in the end, all of our hard work paid off,” said Hannah Yen, a senior yearbook editor. “This year, we’ll find out if we’ve won or not at the NSPA conference. But for me, it’s not so much about the award as it is the bonding time. It’s a great experience, and I’m hoping to get closer with some of our new staff members.”

“Oh, there definitely was a lot of bonding time last year,” said Elizabeth Zhao, a junior yearbook editor. “I talked to people that I wouldn’t have talked to if I hadn’t joined yearbook. I did things that I would never have done. I still remember a bunch of us going down to the lobby and working until we were so tired the screens got blurry. But it was fun, it was a lot of fun.”

“A lot of people don’t realize that these kids spend hours upon hours writing, editing, designing, planning, and creating,” said Ms. Weisman. “I’m fortunate to have such a driven group of students. I don’t make any of it. It’s all up to them. And it’s amazing, they’re improving every year.”