A Year Since School Shutdowns

Photo courtesy of Emiliana Hall on Unsplash.com

Reyva Jamdar, Staff Writer

The year 2020 was a year like no other. 

It began with a drumbeat of unpredictable events, uncertainty, and darkness. 

The Coronavirus suffocated the entire world. 

March 13th, 2020, 6th period, English class. Our extended break was announced. We cheered, we hollered, we clapped. That moment of pure happiness marked the end of my junior high experience. Ironic, isn’t it?

March, April, May, and June passed. We were all stuck in an endless cycle: Get up, do schoolwork from 8-12pm, make whipped coffee, cry over how unfair life became, and repeat. I did this for about three months. I’m sure you did too. What else was there to do? It’s not like we could graduate, attend prom or college, or be rewarded for working tirelessly for twelve years. I think we all can agree that by June, it was apparent that 2020 was a series of rolling disasters the killing of George Floyd, the burning of California forests, a bitter political campaign, and the worst pandemic the world has seen in more than a century. We lost trailblazing figures who stood for change. 

But in the midst of these tragedies, there was courage. There was hope: 

In November 2020, we welcomed the first female, first African American, and first South Asian vice president of the United States. This was a proud, shining moment for woman leaders worldwide.

In June 2020, we watched Black Lives Matter become the biggest mass movement in history. Protestors were responsible, masked, and genuine fighters who made a powerful impact. 

In September 2020, we saw our schools open for the first time since March. Teachers and students came together to carry on with the new school year, masks on, socially distanced, and all. Great efforts helped Ward Melville surpass the dreaded March 13th date, a year since COVID-19 kicked all of us out. 

Few will recall 2020 ending with anything close to fondness. We all can agree that it was far from great. But years from now, when I’m hopefully past the horrors of the pandemic, I’ll look back at 2020 with an immense sense of pride.