A Resident Student Perspective on the Tribulations of Junior Year

Ryan Biks, Staff Writer

Come October, Ward Melville’s juniors have already tried their hands at several new subjects (be they calculus, chemistry, rhetoric – the register of academic options is an extensive one, given the electives offered as well), have had tests administered unto them, and have partaken in projects alongside their peers. This year is also notorious for its difficulty, due to standardized tests and the beginning of the process of searching and applying to colleges. Ergo, provided a battery of apropos questions, members of the student body can attest to their reactions and means of withstanding the year thus far.

“It’s only the first quarter, so I’m definitely expecting the workload to get much heavier. As of now, the workload is fairly manageable,” commented Ray Wei, who has undertaken a schedule that, like many of his contemporaries, is dominated by AP courses, in addition to the InSTAR program. An eminent Ward Melville personality (and patron of the morning announcements), Jacob Klipstein advises that one “finds a good support system and healthy ways to relax. Doing work 24/7 is not good for you and will hurt in the long run.” As for the unique case of Micha Richman, who has decided to consolidate the curricula of junior and senior years into one year’s time in order to graduate early to pursue Judaic studies at one of Yeshiva’s institutions, “it’s a bit more difficult – for example, I found out today that I have an essay to write from both of my English teachers. There’s no time for electives, and it’s surprising how little sleep someone can function on. I’m trying to make use of any free time that I have.”

While scarcely a student seems to be tailoring their work to particular schools for which they are aspirant freshmen, there is a nigh-unanimous consensus among the interviewees. As per the words of junior Michael Selvaggio; “I’d tell future juniors not to kill themselves with five AP classes.”