Ward Melville Diver Makes a Big Splash at First Varsity Meet of the Season

Karen Li, Commons Editor

On September 10, 2014, sophomore Ward Melville varsity diver Jennifer Yavid shattered the Ward Melville six-dive diving record by a jaw-dropping 3 points at her first home varsity meet of the season. When she received news of her record, she shouted with joy and jumped up and down, hugging her teammates and beaming all the while.

Jennifer, who first began diving about 3 years ago, was originally a gymnast for 9 years. But as a result of constant injuries from the sport, she switched to diving. In addition to diving for the school’s varsity team, Jen is also on the Sachem Dive Team. During high school season, she typically trains 2 hours a day, 6 days a week. However, occasionally she trains up to 4 hours a day. During the off season, she still trains about 2 hours a day for 4 days a week.

Jen’s heavy training schedule is directly fueled by her passion for the sport. “My favorite part of diving is the moment just after doing a new dive for the first time,” she said. “It’s filled with adrenaline, pride, and relief because it’s no longer this terrifying dive that seems impossible. The fear doesn’t disappear, but it becomes manageable after that.” Jen’s favorite dives to perform are a back double somersault and a back one somersault 1 1/2 twist, both of which are incredibly difficult dives, especially for Jen’s age.

As for the future, Jen hopes to qualify for States by her senior year. “But as for this year,” she said, “I want to do well in counties and to hopefully beat the 11-dive record as well!”