2017 Protests and the Mainstream Media’s Double Standard

Samuel Kim, Staff Writer

2017 will be known as “the year of protests.” The Women’s march and the anti-Trump rallies are both notable examples. However, did you know that conservatives have been protesting as well? Probably not. All around the world, both conservatives have also been protesting on a variety of issues. Here are some notable examples:

1. March for Life: Thousands of people march to take a stand for women’s health and against abortion. In 2013, an estimated 350,000 marchers participated, which is approximately the same size as that of the Women’s March. Yet, it went unreported by the mainstream media.
  2. “Taeguki” Rallies (South Korea): An estimated 3 million conservatives gathered in Seoul, for many weeks, to show their support for impeached president, Park Geun Hye. Driven by nationalism, anticommunism, and a distrust of the media, these protesters gathered in solidarity to support her reinstatement. An estimated 1 million college students are protesting in favor of her resignation.
  3. Pro-Trump rallies: Last week, a series of pro-Trump rallies took place to support the current President. Most notably, Joy Villa (the singer who wore the “Make America Great Again” dress to the Grammys) led a pro-Trump protest in Washington D.C.
  4. The Pro-Brexit Movement: Millions of volunteers for “Vote Leave” worked tirelessly to fight for Britain’s exit from the European Union.
  5. The Ward Melville Gown Protests: We all known what happened…

Why are these rallies being ignored? Why is there such a double standard with the media? Frankly, it is liberal censorship. Journalists, around the country, are too exposed to a liberal perspective that they dismiss conservatism as a thing of the past. In fact, what these protests show is that conservatism is relevant today.

Our duty, as members of society and the press, should be to show both sides of the story. This should be despite our political views, what causes we hate, and what we champion. Everyone deserves an opinion.