The First Playoff Game Ends in Success for the Ward Melville Field Hockey Team

The WMFH program continues to stay strong after their victory over River head on Monday

Sydney Tasman, Staff Writer

The undefeated Ward Melville girls field hockey team is off to a great start for the next part of their season after their first playoff win against Riverhead on the WM turf yesterday, October 24th, with a score of 6-1.

Right away, the WM team started off strong with a goal early into the first half scored by Lexi Reinhart, a sophomore. This will be Lexi’s third year playing for the varsity team and she continues to be a key player for them with one other goal and an assist in this game.  Other goals were scored by, Kate Mulham, Kiera Alventosa, Kassidy Rogers-Healion, and Kerri Thornton.  Kaitlin Thornton, starting middle back, senior, and captain, also contributed to the patriot win with two assists.

The Ward Melville team made it to states in their previous season and are working their way back to that goal.  When asked about how the team plans on reaching this goal, Kate Mulham (junior and starting midfielder) says, “ We try to focus on one thing at a time, whether it be the next practice or a game.  Coach Watson always tells us to never underestimate our opponents, even if we have beaten them before, and I think that helps us to come out strong everytime.”

The team will advance to the semifinals against Northport, the number 4 seed and a team they have beaten twice in the regular season. The game will take place at the Ward Melville turf on Thursday, October 26 at 2:30 p.m.  This game will decide which team moves on to the county championship.